Visit our new website
You are currently viewing the old Warwickshire Police website where you can continue to use the Community Message Service (CMS). Click the link to return to our new site
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Get the chance to learn while you earn with new police officer apprenticeship

Warwickshire Police is among the first forces to adopt the new entry pathway into policing, which will see apprentices study for a degree in Professional Policing Practice while they serve as police officers.

New recruits will complete initial training to help them learn the basics of policing, before being allocated to a police team where they will learn the practical side of the job, while completing a course of study with Staffordshire University.

Under the scheme, led by the College of Policing, prospective student police officer applicants are able to apply via one of two entry routes:

  • Joining and studying towards the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) to achieve a degree in Professional Policing Practice after three years
  • As a candidate with an existing degree, working and studying over two years towards a Graduate Diploma in Professional Policing Practice.

Apprentice police constables will receive a starting salary of £21,525, or £22,550 for student officers on the Degree Holder Entry Programme, and the tuition fees for the degree or diploma will be paid in full.

Learning will be flexible, with student police officers spending 20% of their time learning in the classroom and online by distance learning, with the other 80% spent serving and protecting the community.

Alex Franklin-Smith, Assistant Chief Constable of Warwickshire Police, said: "Few jobs can be more rewarding than that of a police officer: from day one you'll be helping to fight crime and protecting people from harm. As a student police officer, you'll get to learn new skills, meet new people and study for a recognised higher level qualification, meaning that you can learn while you earn.

"The degree has been introduced nationally to recognise the enormously high level of skills, learning and professionalism required to become a police officer and to carry out the role. The new curriculum for the apprenticeship entry route has been designed to match the complexity of modern policing, recognising that police officers apply transferrable skills and problem-solving skills to a range of complex situations and regularly exercise personal judgement.

"The programme is based on demonstrating skills on the job, as well as academic achievement. Once in the workplace, recruits will apply and develop that learning supported by workplace coaches, colleagues and managers.

"It also means that students who may have been concerned about the costs of a university education have a route to gain academic skills and on-the-job experience."

The force is looking for good communicators with a calm, confident personality; problem solvers; team players; and people who easily build relationships, respect other people and appreciate views from communities across the region.  To find out more and apply, go to